I haven’t been inspired to write anything about our current political climate in quite sometime. I guess Rage is my muse because I am BAFFLED by some of the things I have seen lately. From various CAPS ads to People posting angry rants on youtube about how Spanish speakers need to learn english or go back to their country.
I can’t explain the countless discussions I’ve had about whether or not we have an official national language. and while some states have designated English as their official language, A lot of them recognize that they have a large population of people who speak and understand a foreign language. Places like Louisiana, California and even New Mexico have legislated that certain government documents be available in French and Spanish. I have personally translated the immigration test and the oath for people here in Atlanta. And Yet here we are still having the discussions of how it wastes government resources, and it makes people uncomfortable. BET makes me uncomfortable but you don’t see me running around saying that it’s Racist and a waste of resourses. People cater to niches. It’s a part of what makes this country great. The mass amounts of diversity.
I think what bothers me the most is that all of this Xenophobia and prejudice is targeted at Latinos. Not just foreign born Latinos but people who were born and raised right here in the United States. This is the trend during recessions and in in economic recovery. When the majority group is struggling then the minorities become targets for SERIOUS discriminatory practices. Politicians take note of this and magnify it. they pass laws and ordinances saying that they are protecting their constituents when in reality the are creating an environment for hate. I have heard various Political commentators say things about how the Latino population is growing at a high rate and that White people need to have more kids to combat that. Major news outlets have published articles that talk about the black and hispanic population of children under 5 out number that of white children under the age of five. No one shouts “speak english” at Russians, Italians, Germans, or French Speakers. My Mother has told me countless stories where people would call her looking for help with receiving medicaid and the get angry and insist on speaking with “someone who speaks english”.
It seems the further we move in the direction of the tossed salad analogy of american culture, the more they want to go back to the melting pot analogy. It’s okay for Viacom to have MTV TR3S but its not ok for Señor Garcia to answer the phone and speak spanish. I have read countless scholarly articles about Latinos and education, work, and voting habits. With these types of studies being done and people focusing a lot of attention on Latino voters, it would be ideal of the rate of voting was higher. If you want change you have to take to the voting booth and use your voice. Help educate people through whatever means.
- With Univision Snub, GOP Candidates Seek Other Venues for Reaching Latinos (foxnews.com)
- Lili Gil: Top 5 Reasons Why Latinos Must be on Your Advertising Agenda (huffingtonpost.com)
- Fellows Friday with Lope Gutiérrez-Ruiz (ted.com)
- Cuomo Orders New York to Serve Immigrants in Six Languages | Fox News Latino (spanishvideotranslation.wordpress.com)
- My encounter with anti-Latino racism (cnn.com)
- Identity: Is our future to be Anglo-Saxon? (politics.ie)
- Xenophobia (drkokogyi.wordpress.com)
- Romney And Latinos (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Obama Courts Latino Voters With a White House Forum (blogs.wsj.com)
- Hispanics Rise in Key States (online.wsj.com)
- English language ads better reach Latino audience (eurekalert.org)
- Latinos tweeting their issues, ideas to top (cnn.com)
- Guy Garcia: For Whom the Pot Melts: Why Rick Santorum Can’t Stomach the Multicultural Salad Bowl (huffingtonpost.com)
- Yvette Borja: Am I Latino Enough? (huffingtonpost.com)
- National Hispanic Heritage Month (mohighlibrary.wordpress.com)
- Xenophobia as an Instructional Modality (hernespeaks.wordpress.com)
- Why are YOU learning English? (englishelxni2.wordpress.com)